Here are sources for most of the figures in the collection. See the Index for the source in which each figure was (probably) first published (which may not be who first collected the figure). Special thanks to Mark A. Sherman for supplying this bibliography and identifying the source for each figure.
1) Ball, W.W. Rouse. FUN WITH STRING FIGURES. Dover, New York (1971). pp. 80. [Reprint of AN INTRODUCTION TO STRING FIGURES, 3rd ed., W. Heffer and Sons, Cambridge].
2) Jayne, C.F. STRING FIGURES AND HOW TO MAKE THEM. Dover, New York (1962). pp. 407. [Reprint of STRING FIGURES. Charles Scribners Sons, New York (1906). pp. 407.]
3) Elffers, J. and M. Schuyt. CATS CRADLES AND OTHER STRING FIGURES. (Text by B. Westerveld and H. Broos). Penguin, New York (1978). pp. 207.
4) Gryski, C. CATS CRADLES, OWLS EYES. Morrow, New York (1984). pp. 78.
5) Gryski, C. MANY STARS AND MORE STRING GAMES. Morrow, New York (1985). pp. 80.
6) Gryski, C. SUPER STRING GAMES. Morrow Junior Books, New York (1987). pp. 80.
7) Leeming, J. FUN WITH STRING. J.B. Lippincott, Philadelphia. (1940). pp. 135-159.
8) Maude, H.C. THE STRING FIGURES OF NAURU ISLAND. Occasional Papers in Asian and Pacific Studies, No. 2, Libraries Board of South Australia, Adelaide (1971). pp. 155.
9) Maude, H.C. and H.E. STRING-FIGURES FROM THE GILBERT ISLANDS. Polynesian Society, Memoir No. 13, Wellington (1958). pp. 161.
Return to Home Page